🎄🎅CHRISTMAS SPECIAL!🎅🎄Below is a selection of reading articles, free online exercises, YouTube videos, games, quizzes and resources for you to further improve your English language skills and have fun – ENJOY!
📜READING PICKS – Articles, blog posts, quizzes and more:
From BBC CULTURE: Where Christmas is a way of life, by Megan Snedden
What it’s really like to live in North Pole, Alaska and Santa Claus, Indiana.
Every morning, Paul Brown waves to Santa Claus, who occupies an office downstairs from his own, conveniently located on Saint Nicholas Drive in North Pole, Alaska. (Continue reading)
🎧LISTEN & READ the TRANSCRIPTS:
- Fireworks: A Global Celebration ⇨ Joshua Leo and Liz Waid look at one way that people celebrate - with beautiful, bright, exploding fireworks!
- The Christmas Story ⇨ In today’s Spotlight, we tell one of the most famous stories in the world: the story of Christmas, and the birth of Jesus Christ.
- Babushka’s Christmas Legend ⇨ Colin Lowther and Liz Waid share a story from Russia. It tells about an old woman who gives up the chance of a lifetime.
- Christmas Cracker of Christmas Traditions ⇨ Anne Muir and Adam Navis share a Christmas cracker of stories and customs from Christmas around the world.
- Christmas Food Around the World ⇨ Spotlight looks at traditional Christmas food from places all around the world. These foods have special meaning.
- A Christmas Carol ⇨ Nick Page and Marina Santee present "A Christmas Carol". Spotlight retells this famous Christmas story by Charles Dickens.
- Saint Nicholas, The Christmas Saint ⇨ Santa Claus? Father Christmas? Bruce Gulland and Liz Waid look at the stories about Saint Nicholas. Who was this man and why do we remember him?
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer ⇨ Spotlight tells the famous Children’s Christmas story of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.
- The Joy of Christmas Music ⇨ Colin Lowther and Christy Van Arragon look English Christmas songs. They look at their history, and why they are so popular.
🎬 VIDEO PICKS – Short and fun videos:
This Is Why The Holidays Can Suck! (2:50 minutes)
- Why do we kiss under mistletoe? - Carlos Reif (4:41 minutes)
- To have all your Christmases come at once: The English We Speak (3:04 minutes)
- Do you play Secret Santa with your friends or colleagues? (1:00 minutes)
- American Christmas Traditions: Postcard from the USA (4:14 minutes)
- The Must Eats of German Christmas Markets (4:22 minutes)
Learn to talk about the perfect Santa in 6 minutes (6:33 minutes)
- Why should you read Charles Dickens? - Iseult Gillespie (5:16 minutes)
- Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, or Merry Xmas? What to say to Americans? (10:00 minutes)
- American Christmas Stories: 4 Famous Villains (6:15 minutes)
- European Christmas Traditions You Might Not Have Heard Of (7:10 minutes)
- Unique European Christmas Traditions (7:13 minutes)
- European Christmas - 5 Love & Hates of Traveling Europe at Christmas (7:05 minutes)
- The Don'ts of Visiting Christmas Markets (7:54 minutes)
A LITTLE LONGER BUT WORTH IT!
American Christmas Traditions for a very American Christmas (10:14 minutes)
💬 VOCABULARY PICKS:
- Christmas 1
- Christmas 2
- Christmas (Visual vocabulary building worksheet) 1
- Christmas (Visual vocabulary building worksheet) 2
- Christmas Quiz
- English Vocabulary for Christmas - Picture Quiz
- CHRISTMAS IN THE UK
MORE PICKS NEXT WEEK!