This is a weekly selection of reading articles, free online exercises, YouTube videos, games, quizzes and resources for you to further improve your English language skills while having fun – ENJOY!
📜READING PICKS – Articles, blog posts, quizzes and more:
From BBC CAPITAL: What would happen if we all took smart drugs?, by Zaria Gorvett. More and more people are turning to drugs to improve their performance at work. Do they really work? And what would happen if we all started taking them?
[...] For centuries, all workers have had to get them through the daily slog is boring old caffeine. But no more. The latest generation has been experimenting with a new range of substances, which they believe will supercharge their mental abilities and help them get ahead. (Continue reading)
From BBC CAPITAL: What's driving the rise of the McVegan burger? (This story is from You & Yours on BBC Radio 4, presented by Winifred Robinson and produced by Kevin Mousley. To listen to more episodes of You & Yours please click here. Adapted by Peter Rubinstein.) The Big Mac is changing in response to growing demand for vegetarian food that looks and tastes like meat. (Continue reading)
🎬 VIDEO PICKS – Short and fun videos:
THE BEST HIDDEN LONDON PUBS (3:45 minutes)
- Management tutorial: What is management? | lynda.com (4:56 minutes)
- The Science of Cats (2:56 minutes)
- The Science of DOGS (3:04 minutes)
- Gestures Around the World (2:00 minutes)
- What makes the Great Wall of China so extraordinary - Megan Campisi and Pen-Pen Chen (4:29 minutes)
- The pharaoh that wouldn't be forgotten - Kate Narev (4:33 minutes)
- 12 Psychological Sleep Facts (4:01 minutes)
BBC 6 Minute English January 14, 2016 - Is modern life making us tired? (6:02 minutes)
- 10 Words Visitors Need to Unlock London (7:45 minutes)
- Street food: Why is it becoming popular? (6:16 minutes)
- Eat New England - 5 Must Eats of New England (7:21 minutes)
- Infinitives and Prepositions: Common Grammar Mistakes 😲 (8:59 minutes)
- How The Federal Reserve Works (And Who Really Owns It) (9:43 minutes)
A LITTLE LONGER BUT WORTH IT!
Visit New York - 5 Things You Will Love & Hate about New York City, USA (10:11 minutes)
💬 VOCABULARY PICKS:
Learners' Questions: The difference between 'what' and 'which' (2:07 minutes)
- Text Completion Exercise 9 (DRAG & DROP exercise)
- A list of Countries, Nationalities and Languages ⇒ Quizzes: Nationalities (What is the nationality of someone from ...?) + Languages (What language do they speak in ...?)
- Synonyms Matching Exercise 3 (DRAG & DROP exercise)
- ESL Vocabulary (Multiple choice exercise: Choose the correct words to complete the sentences.)
- Idioms - exercise 8
- GV012 - Jobs and Work (Multiple choice exercise: Choose the correct words to complete the sentences.)
- Exercise on Geography – Great Britain (Multiple choice exercise: Choose the correct words to complete the sentences.)
💡 GRAMMAR PICKS – Assorted exercises and games:
- Phrasal Verbs Fill in Exercise 1
- GV006 - Expressions with GET (Complete the sentences using an expression from the box with GET)
- Adjectives + prepositions 3
- THERE IS or THERE ARE? 1
- WHO or WHOM?
- Present Simple or Progressive?
- Quantifiers: More, most, the most 2
- Either / or and Neither / nor
- Both, Either, Neither, Nor and So
- ALL, EVERY, EITHER, BOTH, FEW ETC.
- Conditionals Quiz
- Parts of Speech Quiz
- ESL Practice: COUNT or NON-COUNT 1 (Which alternative is correct? Click on 'Answer' to see the correct response.)
MORE PICKS NEXT WEEK!