- Younger people feel lonelier than older people
- 41% of people think loneliness can be positive
- People who feel lonely have social skills that are no better or worse than average
- Winter is no lonelier than any other time of year
- People who often feel lonely have higher levels of empathy than everyone else
When you picture someone who’s lonely, the stereotype is often an older person who lives alone and hardly sees anyone. Indeed, in the BBC Loneliness Experiment, 27% of over 75s said they often or very often feel lonely. This is higher than in some surveys, but because the survey was online, we had a self-selecting sample and might have attracted more people who feel lonely.