This is a weekly selection of reading articles, free online exercises, YouTube videos, games, quizzes and resources for you to further improve your English language skills and have fun – ENJOY!
📜 READING PICKS – Articles, blog posts, quizzes and more:
From BBC TRAVEL: Italy’s ‘practically perfect’ food, by Amanda Ruggeri.
Pound for pound, Parmigiano-Reggiano can compete with almost any food for calcium, amino acids, protein and vitamin A – and is prescribed by doctors to cure ailments. It’s also a dairy product… that can be eaten by the lactose-intolerant. (Continue reading)
From BBC CAPITAL: The cost of free public transport, by Marc Auxenfants.
From March next year, commuters in Luxembourg will not be charged for trips on its trains, trams and buses. What’s the cost of such a move? (Continue reading)
BBC Reel: The amazing houses that build themselves At the touch of a button, these incredible homes of the future can self-deploy and build themselves in less than 10 minutes. (Go to videos + full article)
🎬 VIDEO PICKS – Short and fun videos:
What Is the Sunday Evening Feeling? (4:58 minutes)
- Student Life – Academic writing (4:19 minutes)
- Study Skills – Reading difficult texts (3:07 minutes)
- How stress affects your brain - Madhumita Murgia (4:15 minutes)
- Learning Circles - Bus: Vocabulary and phrases to help you travel on a bus (2:35 minutes)
- Ireland | Guinness Storehouse (2:49 minutes)
- What Does Your Accent Say About You? (3:25 minutes)
How parasites change their host's behavior - Jaap de Roode (5:13 minutes)
- How to ... give bad news (6:03 minutes)
- The history of tattoos - Addison Anderson (5:16 minutes)
- Why We Need Global Solidarity More Than Ever with Elif Shafak (6:51 minutes)
- Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus by John Gray ► Animated Book Summary (6:41 minutes)
- Digital literacy – Presentations (5:26 minute)
A LITTLE LONGER BUT WORTH IT!
Inside The Lives Of North Korean School Children (12:31 minutes)
- Winter Holidays Around the World That Definitely Demand a Celebration (12:34 minutes)
- 10 WEIRD Holiday Traditions From Around The World (11:51 minutes)
💬 VOCABULARY PICKS:
Learners' Questions: Assure, ensure, insure (3:22 minutes)
- Collocations 1 (Some words are often used together: Click on the buttons until you find the correct collocation.)
- Historic or historical? (Click on “Next Test” for a new set of questions.)
- Economic or economical?
- Lightening or Lightning? (Both different from ‘lighting’= the lights that light a room, building, or street, or the quality of the light produced.)
- Jewelry or Jewellery?
- Collectable or Collectible?
💡 GRAMMAR PICKS – Assorted exercises and games:
Intermediate English grammar - Verb patterns, (verb + ing, verb + to) gerunds and infinitives (8:56 minutes)
MORE PICKS NEXT WEEK!